[publican-list] Formatting Articles, a discussion of BZ #494147

Jeffrey Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Thu Dec 3 05:24:08 UTC 2009

Ruediger Landmann wrote:
> On 12/03/2009 02:02 PM, Jeffrey Fearn wrote:
>> The difference you are talking about is user controlled content and
>> not formatting, there is almost no difference in the way the same
>> content is formatted.
>>

> True. What I'd personally like to see in articles is even more minimal
> front matter. Taking
>
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/readme-live-image/en-US.html
>
> as an example, I'd prefer to see:
>
> * the Product Name and Article Name combined into one line and reduced
> in size

Or just the Article Name.

> * the logo gone or reduced in size

Remove it from, or comment it out in, Article_Info.xml

> * author names, affiliations, and email addresses collapsed into one line

Or just the name, which is an email link.

> * Table of Contents turned off (or at least turned off by default)

+1

> * Legal notice reduced in size and moved to the end of the article (or
> maybe a footer)

Engaging legal discussion avoidance engine! ;)

> * Revision history reduced in size and perhaps limited to only the last
> revision?

I'd just leave it out, it's required for building the RPM, but you can
just leave out the xi:include.

> I think that this would better present a short piece (without the
> formatting overwhelming such a short piece of writing) and that the
> resulting doc would more easily lend itself to inclusion in a longer work.

There is no reason you can't format an article in a book differently
than the same article when it's stand alone.

> Maybe I should mock this up to better illustrate what I have in mind?

Mock ups are always good :)

Don't forget
Cheers, Jeff.

--