[publican-list] Spacing on programlisting

Ottey, Daniel W Daniel.W.Ottey at questdiagnostics.com
Thu Dec 3 17:34:56 UTC 2009

Hi all,

The Linux Systems group here at Quest Diagnostics has been using
Publican extensively in the last few months as we migrate our Linux
Server Disaster Recovery documentation from Microsoft Word to Publican
(output as PDF).  We have received amazing feedback on how professional
our documentation now looks compared to many of the Word documents that
have been reviewed.  So I am sending my thanks to the authors and
contributors of Publican - this is an excellent open source project!

We have just converted our document to Publican 1.2 version since its
release in Fedora 12.  We are eager to introduce the syntax highlighting
for many of our command line bash examples using programlisting.  The
issue we are seeing is that <programlisting>, unlike <screen>, has a 1
or 2 line buffer/spacing at both the top and bottom of the listing.  For
larger code examples this is not a big deal, but it is very obvious when
the code sample only has one line.  Please see the attached PDF.  The
test chapter contains two programlistings and one screen.  I have
attached the chapter's XML file as well.

I'd like to know if there is an option to disable that spacing?  If not,
can it be made an option?  And is there any way to "get around it" in
the mean time?

Thanks so much for any assistance!

PS.  I do hope this is the correct forum for such questions.  If it is,
I may have a few others down the line.

Daniel W. Ottey
Quest Diagnostics | Linux Admin | Linux & Web Services | 400 Egypt Road
| West Norriton, PA 19403 USA | phone +1.610.650.6681 | fax
+1.610.650.2171 | Daniel.W.Ottey at QuestDiagnostics.com |
www.QuestDiagnostics.com

The contents of this message, together with any attachments, are
intended only for the use of the person(s) to which they are
addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. Further, any medical information herein is
confidential and protected by law. It is unlawful for unauthorized
persons to use, review, copy, disclose, or disseminate confidential
medical information. If you are not the intended recipient,
immediately advise the sender and delete this message and any
attachments. Any distribution, or copying of this message, or any
attachment, is prohibited.