[publican-list] Spacing on programlisting

Jeffrey Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Thu Dec 3 23:27:51 UTC 2009

Hi Daniel, welcome :)

Ottey, Daniel W wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The Linux Systems group here at Quest Diagnostics has been using
> Publican extensively in the last few months as we migrate our Linux
> Server Disaster Recovery documentation from Microsoft Word to Publican
> (output as PDF).  We have received amazing feedback on how professional
> our documentation now looks compared to many of the Word documents that
> have been reviewed.  So I am sending my thanks to the authors and
> contributors of Publican - this is an excellent open source project!

Thanks :)

> We have just converted our document to Publican 1.2 version since its
> release in Fedora 12.  We are eager to introduce the syntax highlighting
> for many of our command line bash examples using programlisting.  The
> issue we are seeing is that <programlisting>, unlike <screen>, has a 1
> or 2 line buffer/spacing at both the top and bottom of the listing.  For
> larger code examples this is not a big deal, but it is very obvious when
> the code sample only has one line.  Please see the attached PDF.  The
> test chapter contains two programlistings and one screen.  I have
> attached the chapter's XML file as well.
>
> I'd like to know if there is an option to disable that spacing?  If not,
> can it be made an option?

This is a bug, the only change that should ever be made to verbatim
content is line wrapping long lines. Please open a bug and I'll try and
get a fix in to 1.3.

>  And is there any way to "get around it" in
> the mean time?

The extra space is being added by the syntax highlighting code, so the
workaround is to remove the language attribute :(

> Thanks so much for any assistance!
>
> PS.  I do hope this is the correct forum for such questions.  If it is,
> I may have a few others down the line.

This is definitely the right place :)

Cheers, Jeff.

--