[publican-list] and the repository is where?

Jared Smith jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net
Fri Jul 10 18:14:23 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 12:27 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i give up.  seriously.  i just don't have time for this.

Hi Robert... I'm not sure we've ever met, and I don't remember seeing
any comments from you previously on the publican list, so it's good to
meet you (well, as much as you can really meet someone in a mailing
list).

If you don't have time to send in a bugzilla ticket, email me the
patches and I'd be happy to open bugzilla tickets for each and every
one.

Seriously.  I'd be happy to spend a little of my own time to save some
of yours.

May I suggest in passing, though, that you lose the attitude.  I don't
know you from Adam, and I'm sure you're a really nice guy in real life,
and I'm sure you're infinitely smarter than I can ever hope to be.. but
based on what I've seen over the past few hours in the mailing list, I
can honestly say you're not doing yourself any favors.

Who am I, you might ask?  I'm nobody... I'm just another guy who happens
to use Publican, follows the mailing list, and contributes patches from
time to time.  But I'm also another guy who happened to be quite
appalled at the tone of your recent posts.

The methodology of open source development means that sometimes
documentation isn't correct or up-to-date, and sometimes mere mortals
make mistakes (heaven forbid!).  As I see it, you're one of the few that
thinks that in open communities, he who shouts the loudest wins.  And
the sense of entitlement ("You must give me access to the repository to
fix grammar problems even though I can't manage to capitalize my
sentences" and "I'd be happy to help and make suggestions, but only if
you guys cater to my whims") makes developers *less* likely for the
Publican developers (again, I'm not one) to listen to you, not more.

Now, I'm not saying that Publican is perfect... I'm simply saying that
the way we communicate will have an effect on how Publican gets to where
we want it to be.

My two cents... (before taxes)

-Jared