[publican-list] RFC: Make -langs=en-US the default language for command line args

David Jorm djorm at redhat.com
Wed Jun 2 05:53:44 UTC 2010

What would the French say!

I agree. Make English default.

David

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jared Morgan" <jmorgan at redhat.com>
To: "publican-list" <publican-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 3:44:50 PM GMT +10:00 Brisbane
Subject: [publican-list] RFC: Make -langs=en-US the default language for command line args

I've seen a number of emails flying around that show some nice aliases for publican commands. I know many people have implemented their own aliases to quickly execute basic en-US book builds.

When we build a book, I would imagine most people would want to publish en-US versions initially. So why don't we set this as the default language in command-line arguments, rather than having to specify it each time?

So instead of executing "publican build -langs=en-US -formats html", it would simply be "publican build -formats html".

For those users who need to generate language-specific versions, they could override the default by specifying the --langs option when they execute their publish command.

There might be other ways we can shorten what users need to type as well. How about a "-formats online" option which generates html, and html-single (possibly even ePub).

Thoughts?

Cheers

Jared Morgan
Content Author