[publican-list] 1.99 testing -- Translations of footnotes not appearing

Ruediger Landmann r.landmann at redhat.com
Sun Jun 6 23:25:17 UTC 2010

Hey Jeff, something seems to be going wrong with strings that contain
<footnotes> when I build translated versions of books with 1.99.

During POT generation, footnotes are pulled out into their own entries
in PO files, thus:

<para>
         This is a test paragraph <footnote><para>and this is a
footnote</para></footnote>
</para>

becomes

#. Tag: para
#, no-c-format
msgid "This is a test paragraph <footnote></footnote>"
msgstr "Dies ist ein Test Absatz <footnote></footnote>"

#. Tag: para
#, no-c-format
msgid "and this is a footnote"
msgstr "und dies ist eine Fußnote"

Is this by design?  I think this treatment might make translation
easier, especially where footnotes appear in the middle of strings.

However, whether by design or not, when I build a book with a
translation like this with 1.99.t84, Publican leaves the footnote (and
the paragraph that contained it) in English.

This problem isn't in 1.6.3, which just leaves footnotes in place in the
msgid:

#. Tag: para
#, no-c-format
msgid "This is a test paragraph <footnote><para>and this is a
footnote</para></footnote>"
msgstr ""

Cheers
Rudi