[publican-list] RFC: Supporting RevisionFlag attribute

Jeff Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Fri May 14 01:39:18 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 10:21 +1000, Ruediger Landmann wrote:
> On 05/13/2010 05:37 PM, Darrin Mison wrote:
> > The change-bars will probably be better those people who print the drafts out.  Unfortunately those people exist :-(
> >

> The change bars are certainly more "presentable", but I think that's a
> downside here -- the more presentable these features appear, the more
> likely it is that someone might be tempted to circulate a document like
> that. I think uglification is actually a virtue here, so long as it
> doesn't interfere with readability.
>
> I think that the coloured backgrounds are still perfectly readable, and
> identify the text in question more strongly than the bars do.

I'd rephrase that as "it should look out of place", the markup should
look wrong. It should be subtle enough people can get on with reading
it, but wrong enough that people don't want to ship it in a final
version.

> I also like Jeff's suggestion about an icon (or perhaps text) in the
> margin -- this will not only help people with screen readers, but
> possibly also people with other visual impairments such as red/green
> colourblindness.[0]

Icons or text in the margins can aid with it looking wrong, so I'll
think about this some more.

For those who'd like to play along, here is how I created the mock-ups.

1: Add role="(changed|added|deleted)" to the tags you want marked up.
2: build html
3: edit tmp/en-US/html/Common_Content/css/common.cs
4: add either of the following to the very end of that file

Change Bars:

.changed {
margin-left: -8px;
padding-left: 3px;
border-left: 5px solid;
border-color: #ffff77;
}

.added {
margin-left: -8px;
padding-left: 3px;
border-left: 5px solid;
border-color: #99ff99;
}

.deleted {
margin-left: -8px;
padding-left: 3px;
border-left: 5px solid;
border-color: #ff4455;
text-decoration: line-through;
}

Blocks:

.added {
background-color: #99ff99;
}

.changed {
background-color: #ffff77;
}

.deleted {
background-color: #ff4455;
text-decoration: line-through;
}

Or can use the Firefox plugin 'Web Developer' which allows you to edit
the css dynamically :P

Cheers, Jeff.

--
Jeff Fearn <jfearn at redhat.com>
Software Engineer

Sure our competitors can rebuild the source but can they engage the customer the same way? -wmealing