[publican-list] RFC: Modified JBoss brand (was Re: RFE for Publican Brands)

Joshua Wulf jwulf at redhat.com
Wed Oct 13 00:29:51 UTC 2010

Thin rounded border without a doubt.

The current one has terrible contrast that reduces readability. Red on
Orange? A huge orange blob on the page?

==Coloured vs non-coloured background==

A coloured background reduces contrast, and hence readability, without
creating more intelligibility. A border enhances intelligibility by
allowing a reader to ascertain where the example starts and ends at a
glance. Filling in that border with a colour adds no further value.

Having a solid block of colour on a page, and multiples blocks of colour
on a page as our docs currently do, reduces intelligibility. When
looking at a page of this text the mind of the reader is pushed to
switch modes. Picture and pattern processing is different from text
stream processing. Visual cues should support the processing of the text
information on the page, and not overload the reader.

My vote goes to:

Thin rounded border - elegant, understated, supportive, encapsulates the
example.

*Without* the border the natural tendency in the example you've given
would be to consider the contents of the programlisting to be the whole
example, as it is a bounded area that immediately follows the Example
title. Having a border around the example clarifies this.

The border also allows a user to quickly skip over an entire example and
continue reading.

==Thick vs thin border:==

The thick rounded border is too heavy-handed and draws the eye away from
the content.

==Square vs rounded borders:==

Incorporating circles into the user interface was pioneered by Steve
Jobs while he was at NEXT. Prior to that user interfaces, although
executed on monitors that could support it, were informed by metaphors
and design principles that hadn't significantly changed since the tools
of execution were hammers and chisels.

==Indentation vs border==

Indentation is relative. As a visual cue its efficacy is lost when the
text above disappears off the screen, or you turn the page. I'm given to
understand that our current pdf processor doesn't support flow of
indentation across pages anyway, so with our current implementation it's
either ineffective or both ineffective and impossible.