[publican-list] RFE for Publican Brands

Jeffrey Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Thu Sep 30 22:23:18 UTC 2010

Lana Brindley wrote:
> On 10/01/2010 08:03 AM, Andrew Ross wrote:
>>
>> ----- "Ruediger Landmann"<r.landmann at redhat.com>  wrote:

>>> terrible.
>>>

>> <devils_advocate>
>> Do we want to have programlistings inside note/warning tags? Perhaps
>> the horrid colour scheme was devised by mother nature as a natural
>> defence mechanism...
>> </devils_advocate>
>>

> I'll rise to the bait. Sometimes you need to. I've come across it
> several times where you have an admonition something like this:
>
> <warning>
> wide-spread death and destruction. To prevent the mutiliation of friends
> and loved ones, add the following line to the configuration:
> </para>
> <programlisting>
> TortureFriends = 0
> </programlisting>
> </warning>
>
> The point being, that sometimes the admonition is directly relevant to a
> program listing (or <screen>) that just wouldn't fit in the main body of
> text. I agree that it's not ideal, but there are definitely situations
> where you can't write around it. In those cases, it would be nice if the
> brand wasn't working against us.

The problem when you make up examples are that they almost never carry
your point well. It's quite easy for anyone to reply "your argument is
flawed, such an important point should be part of your main text" or
"admonitions are for unexpected behavior, a setting like this should be
part of the main documentation and if the warning is still required it
should contain a link parameter in the main text." etc, etc.

A real example where you couldn't write around it would carry much more
weight and prevent such responses.

Cheers, Jeff.

--
Jeff Fearn <jfearn at redhat.com>