[publican-list] Is it possible to work offline with Publican?

Norman Dunbar Norman at dunbar-it.co.uk
Thu Jun 9 12:31:56 UTC 2011

Good afternoon,

apologies if this has been dealt with before, I don't seem to be able to
find a "search" option on the archives page for this list. I have also
searched the BugZilla system and found nothing relevant there either.

I have just installed Publican 2.3, to test it, on a Windows XP box
which currently, doesn't have an internet connection. When I run a build
to create a pdf file, I get the following error:

Using XML::LibXSLT on d:/Program Files/Publican/xsl/pdf.xsl
No such file or directoryI/O warning : failed to load external entity
"http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/fo/footnote.xsl"

compilation error: file file:///d:/Program%20Files/Publican/xsl/pdf.xsl
element include xsl:include : unable to load
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/fo/footnote.xsl
  at Publican/Builder.pm line 889

However, if I run this when the box does have a connection, it works
fine and created the pdf file. Disconnecting the network lead (!)
results in the above error again.

I have checked the DocBook XSL installation (the one bundled with
Publican 2.3) and it has a catalog.xml with the following:

   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
- <catalog xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:entity:xmlns:xml:catalog">
- <!--  XML Catalog file for DocBook XSL Stylesheets v1.75.2
   -->
   <rewriteURI
uriStartString="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/"
rewritePrefix="./" />
   <rewriteSystem
systemIdStartString="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/" rewritePrefix="./"
/>
   <rewriteURI
uriStartString="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/1.75.2/"
rewritePrefix="./" />
   <rewriteSystem
systemIdStartString="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/1.75.2/"
rewritePrefix="./" />
   </catalog>

So it looks to me as if it should be finding the footnotes.xsl file
locally rather than needing to hit the internet all the time.

Is there a problem here with my setup? What could I check to ensure that
catalog.xml is being used etc etc.

This is my first day with Publican and I'm liking what I see very much
indeed.

I would normally be using Linux for this work, but I'm running <ahem>
OpenSuse and Publican doesn't seem to like that distro. However, I would
like to work offline as well as online when doing my documents.

Many thanks.

Cheers,
Norm.

--