[publican-list] How can certain warnings be turned off?

Mark Miesfeld miesfeld at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 16:21:28 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Norman Dunbar <Norman at dunbar-it.co.uk> wrote:

> It is a valid DocBook tag, it's just "frowned upon" by Publican mainly
> because it's possibly going to affect translations of documents.

Norman,

Thanks for the reply.

I realize that it is frowned upon and I understand why.  But, this
book will never be translated.  So the reason it is frowned upon does
not apply here.

>> I want to turn the warning off.  Processing spits out so many of these
>> warnings that legitimate warnings are masked.  How do I go about doing
>> that?
>

> I'm not sure it can be, someone else may correct me though.

I don't see any documented way, so I'm hoping one of the developers
will correct you.  ;-)

> However, when you say that you want to supply text at the end of your links,
> what do you mean?
> Blah blah blah. For more details, see Section 2.3.4 More Details blah blah
> blah.
> Not sure if this helps or not.

That's exactly what I don't want.  I don't want the "see Section 2.3.4
More Details"

If I have "blah blah connects the event notification with a method in
the Rexx dialog."

I want to link "event"  to section 4.5.6.7 with the title of
"Understanding Event Notifications"

I went through and changed all my <link> tags to xref tags and I have have:

"blah blah connects the event see Section 4.5.6.7 Understanding Event
Notifications notification with a method in the Rexx dialog"

That's unacceptable to me.  I don't care if the link tag can't be
translated.  ;-)  The book is not going to be translated.

So, I thought, maybe I can fix this with xreflabel and I get hundreds
of these warnings:

*WARNING: Questionable attribute found: xreflabel
        xreflabel hides data from translators and, consequently,
causes translation errors.
        Consider not using this attribute.

I don't care if xreflabel hides data from translators, the book will
never be translated.  ;-)

If I could just turn the warnings off, everything would be okay.

--
Mark Miesfeld