[publican-list] Dbfo keep-together instructions stripped out by publican?

Norman Dunbar Norman at dunbar-it.co.uk
Fri Jan 27 09:20:41 UTC 2012

Morning Jared,

Ok, I tried wkhtmltopdf after installing the QT stuff needed by the two
rpms you linked me to.

Good points:

It's very fast indeed!

The output format appears quite nice, as you say, fantastic looking
documents.

Bad points (for me anyway):

The front cover image is missing and I have a lovely set of scroll bars
where it should be. :-(

Paging is ruined - nothing throws to a new page any more - sections,
chapters, parts etc, all start just below where the last "bit" finished.

Every part, chapter and section has a table of contents present, only
the book itself should have one.

Every single table now splits over a page, but even worse, using FOP I
did get a copy of the table headers on the continuation. Not any more. :-(

I presume the above is due to the initial conversion from XML to HTML
being an html-single - there are no page breaks - so tables etc don't
split in the html, but when converted to pdf, oh boy!

But the worst thing of all for a printed document, the indexing. I have
4 (yes, overkill perhaps, but that's how it is!) different indices and
instead of having page numbers, they have the section header instead.

I'm afraid it's not for me - yet - as it's not producing anything like a
decent, printable pdf document. Sorry.

Appreciate you taking the time to remind me of this utility, but it's
not quite ready for mainstream yet - at least, as far as my book is
concerned.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Norm.