[publican-list] RHEL 6 packages for publican 2.8 and 3.0.0

Norman Dunbar Norman at dunbar-it.co.uk
Thu Nov 8 11:19:53 UTC 2012

Hi All,

On 08/11/12 04:50, Ruediger Landmann wrote:
> Getting rid of FOP is a worthy goal indeed.
I know there's a lot of "hatred" for fop here, and I suppose if you have
to maintain it, then it's most likely justified, but....

I need to create documents that will be printed out. They need to be in
PDF format and fop does a pretty good job. (But then again, I'm not
maintaining it - so I feel your pain!)

My documents have indices. And these have page numbers as the cross
reference, so I get this in my printed copy:

Introduction......7
Concepts..........32
Recursion.........98

When I last tried wkhtmltopdf, I discovered that the indices were
treated the same as the HTML (obvious really) in that the page numbers
were replaced by section titles:

Introduction......1 Introduction
Concepts..........2 Concepts
Recursion.........8 Recursion

This makes it almost useless for a decent quality PDF document, printer
ready, that people will read (in the bath if they are anything like me!)
and the indexes are next to useless. On which page will I find the
recursion section? Ah yes, see the Recursion Section. Hmmm, not
particularly helpful.

I haven't been able to try out Publican 3 yet - it won't compile the
build program on my Mint 13 KDE setup, but I'd love to know if the index
problem is resolved? If it is, I'd happily try it again, otherwise, fop
rules, however badly we think of it.

Just my £0.02.

Cheers,
Norm.