[publican-list] Using internal links in pdf file in Publican

Inna Kabanova ikabanova at russianfedora.ru
Fri Nov 16 10:30:15 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> Thanks for the example Inna.
>
> What about the case where your text read:
>
> Refer to _Subsystems and Tunable Parameters_ for a description of
> which parameters are mandatory for given subsystems.
>
> Where _Subsystems and Tunable Parameters_ is the chapter title
> injected into the sentence. Does that suffer from the same (or a
> different) problem, or would it solve it in this case?

The issue is that the sentence in po-file looks like:

"Refer to <xref linkend="Section_ID" xrefstyle="select:title" /> for a description of which parameters are mandatory for given subsystems."

So translator has no information about the section title. If he want to obtain it he should look through all po-files of the document to find out which section has this id (the translator often can't see the result document on the translation stage). The problem is almost the same.

The only way in such case is to prepare the translated sentence for the unknown title injected in the nominative but nobody is insured against the semantic mismatch.

>From my point of view, the best way is to rewrite the example sentence using the <link> tag in the following way:

"Refer to <link linkend="Section_ID">this section</link> for a description of which parameters are mandatory for given subsystems."

In this case text within <link> tag can be translated easily (it is example, other text within <link> tag may be used).

That's why I asked about using <link> tag with Publican.

--
Best regards,
Inna Kabanova / Russian Fedora Team