[publican-list] Screen and Programlisting oddities in Publican 2.8

Norman Dunbar Norman at dunbar-it.co.uk
Wed Mar 13 17:11:30 UTC 2013

Evening all,

re this problem. I've been delayed by my real job for a while, but I've
had a few hours yesterday and today to take a better look.

I can reproduce the fault with the pdf.xsl from Publican 2.3 and 2.8, so
I suspect that problem is buried deep in the DocBook xsl and might not
be a Publican fault after all.

To recap, formatting this:

<programlisting>
MOVE.L    $1000,D1    gets the long word at address $1000
MOVE.L    $9000,D1    gets the long word at address $FFFF9000
</programlisting>
Results in this:

Line 1 is all of the following, unwrapped:

MOVE.L  $1000,D1  gets the long word at address $1000MOVE.L $9000,D1
gets the long

Line 2 is all of the following:

word at address $FFFF9000

Then, there is line 3, all of the rest:

$1000MOVE.L  $9000,D1  gets the long word at address

I've done it that way in case Thunderbird wraps things strangely.

There are two lines of program listing, but three lines of output. If I
remove the comments from the source:

<programlisting>
MOVE.L    $1000,D1
MOVE.L    $9000,D1
</programlisting>

Then it renders correctly.

I have tried many lines of similar code and shortening the comments, but
they all render correctly, Sigh!

Not all program listings are affected, and there are also some <screen>
elements that show the same corruption. This only affects PDF
generation. HTML, epub and text etc, are all ok.

I did try DBLatex, as advised elsewhere in this thread, and that is ok,
but loses my muliti-layer indexes. :-(

I can't upgrade to 3.x because it's not yet available on my distro
(Linux Mint 13 based on Ubuntu) and I need to keep using fop to get my
indexes correctly created and with multi-levels too. Irritating, I know.

I tried building 3.0 a while back, but there are some dependency
problems. :-(

I'll keep looking for more clues as to what is going on, but I think
some changes between the Docbook XSL in 2.3 and in 2.8 might have
introduced the problem.

If I render the document in 2.3 everything it's ok (but has other
problems with brands) whereas in 2.8 it seems to have random problems.

Cheers,
Norm.

--
Norman Dunbar