[publican-list] Screen and Programlisting oddities in Publican 2.8

Jeff Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Wed Mar 13 23:44:36 UTC 2013

On 03/14/2013 03:11 AM, Norman Dunbar wrote:
> Evening all,
>
> re this problem. I've been delayed by my real job for a while, but I've
> had a few hours yesterday and today to take a better look.
>
> I can reproduce the fault with the pdf.xsl from Publican 2.3 and 2.8, so
> I suspect that problem is buried deep in the DocBook xsl and might not
> be a Publican fault after all.
>
> To recap, formatting this:
>
> <programlisting>
> MOVE.L    $1000,D1    gets the long word at address $1000
> MOVE.L    $9000,D1    gets the long word at address $FFFF9000
> </programlisting>
> Results in this:
>
> Line 1 is all of the following, unwrapped:
>
> MOVE.L  $1000,D1  gets the long word at address $1000MOVE.L $9000,D1
> gets the long
>
> Line 2 is all of the following:
>
> word at address $FFFF9000
>
> Then, there is line 3, all of the rest:
>
> $1000MOVE.L  $9000,D1  gets the long word at address
>
> I've done it that way in case Thunderbird wraps things strangely.
>

> There are two lines of program listing, but three lines of output. If I
> remove the comments from the source:
>
> <programlisting>
> MOVE.L    $1000,D1
> MOVE.L    $9000,D1
> </programlisting>
>
> Then it renders correctly.
>
> I have tried many lines of similar code and shortening the comments, but
> they all render correctly, Sigh!
>

> Not all program listings are affected, and there are also some <screen>
> elements that show the same corruption. This only affects PDF
> generation. HTML, epub and text etc, are all ok.
>
> I did try DBLatex, as advised elsewhere in this thread, and that is ok,
> but loses my muliti-layer indexes. :-(
>

> I can't upgrade to 3.x because it's not yet available on my distro
> (Linux Mint 13 based on Ubuntu) and I need to keep using fop to get my
> indexes correctly created and with multi-levels too. Irritating, I know.
>
> I tried building 3.0 a while back, but there are some dependency
> problems. :-(
>
> I'll keep looking for more clues as to what is going on, but I think
> some changes between the Docbook XSL in 2.3 and in 2.8 might have
> introduced the problem.
>
> If I render the document in 2.3 everything it's ok (but has other
> problems with brands) whereas in 2.8 it seems to have random problems.

Hi Norman, plugged your programlisting in to the Publican Users Guide,
built on P3 with FOP, renders as expected.

Set:

<programlisting language="Intel x86 (NASM)">

Also renders as expected.

What version of the docbook xsl are you using?

Cheers, Jeff.

--
Jeff Fearn <jfearn at redhat.com>
Senior Software Engineer