[publican-list] Screen and Programlisting oddities in Publican 2.8

Norman Dunbar Norman at dunbar-it.co.uk
Fri Mar 15 14:25:38 UTC 2013

Hi Jeff,

On 14/03/13 23:47, Jeff Fearn wrote:

> Can you compare the content between ./tmp/$lang/xml_tmp/$file and
> ./tmp/$lang/xml/$file
>
> The main difference between the two is that XmlClean is used to move
> files between xml_tmp and xml ... although I'd expect anything broken in
> that step to affect all outputs.

> You could try making a basic PDF XSL file and copying over content from
> pdf.xsl to see if anything changes.
>
> $ sudo gvim /usr/share/publican/xsl/pdf2.xsl
>
> <?xml version='1.0'?>
> <!DOCTYPE xsl:stylesheet []>
>          version='1.0'
>          xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/transitional"
>  >
> <xsl:import
> href="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/fo/docbook.xsl"/>
> <xsl:param name="tablecolumns.extension" select="0"/>
> </xsl:stylesheet>
>

> $ publican build --formats pdf2

Aha! The above has fixed it. pdf now renders correctly. I shall
investigate what makes it stop working by adding bits from pdf.xsl to
pdf2.xsl.

<insert long delay here ....>

Found it! If I comment out the wrap-option attribute below, as shown, it
works on my test chapter.

<xsl:attribute-set name="monospace.verbatim.properties"
use-attribute-sets="verbatim.properties monospace.properties">
         <xsl:attribute name="text-align">start</xsl:attribute>
<!--    <xsl:attribute name="wrap-option">wrap</xsl:attribute> -->
         <xsl:attribute name="hyphenation-character">\</xsl:attribute>
</xsl:attribute-set>

So, comment out line 97 in pdf.xsl for Publican 2.8.

Also, I noticed a number of errors about an illegal value for
"keep-together.within-column" in pdf.xsl as well.

Near line 405, it looks like this:

<xsl:attribute-set name="example.properties"
use-attribute-sets="formal.object.properties">
      <xsl:attribute name="keep-together.within-column"></xsl:attribute>

I changed mine to auto instead of leaving it blank. That stopped the
errors and the build appears ok.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Norm.