[publican-list] Publican 4 - brands problems

Ruediger Landmann rlandmann at redhat.com
Tue Feb 4 07:36:33 UTC 2014

On 02/04/2014 07:37 AM, Norman Dunbar wrote:
> Evening all,
>
> I have created a default book as a test with the following:
>
> $ publican create --type=book --name=Book_001 --langs=en-US
>
> And built it as follows:
>
> $ publican build --langs=en-US --formats=pdf
>
> And all is well.
>
> I then created a brand called jms:
>
> $ publican create_brand --name=jms --lang=en-US
>
> I added my images, updated the xml files etc, and published it:
>
> $ publican build --formats=xml --langs-en-US --publish
>
> And installed it:
>
> $ sudo publican install_brand --path=/usr/share/publican/Common_Content
>
> And everything was fine. I then changed the brand in the publican.cfg
> for my test book from
>
> brand: common

> brand: jms
>

> Now when I run the build command, I get this one line:
>
> Failed to load brand overrides.cfg file at /usr/local/bin/publican
> line 797.
>
> And $?=255 immediately afterwards.
>
> I can see overrides.cfg is present in the installed brand directory:
>
> $ ll /usr/share/publican/Common_Content/jms/
> total 16
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  137 Feb  3 21:18 defaults.cfg
> drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jan 28 19:14 en-US/
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   51 Feb  3 21:18 overrides.cfg
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  107 Feb  3 21:18 publican.cfg
>
> It's all a bit strange! The file is present, but can't be found. Is
> there a way to turn on some form of debugging to show exactly what
> publican is doing and where it is looking for this file?

Thanks for the detailed description of what went wrong -- I was able to
reproduce this problem exactly. The fix was to set a parameter (probably
any parameter) in overrides.cfg (I set web_style: 2)

So, Publican is finding the file fine, but if it's empty, it's
misreporting it as "not found". Can you please open a bug?

> My second problem, I love the html-desktop format when generating a
> book, article etc. It appears to have gone in some of the later
> versions of Publican. Is it coming back again at some point? It really
> is the nicest html output format.
>
> When I try to build with that format, I get html-single instead, I can
> see it being substituted in the output from the build:
>

> $ publican build --langs=en-US --formats=html-desktop
> Setting up en-US
> ..
> Beginning work on en-US
> DTD Validation OK
>         Starting html-desktop
>         Using XML::LibXSLT on /usr/share/publican/xsl/html-single.xsl
>         Finished html-desktop

html-desktop builds work fine for me with both the common brand and a
custom brand I have here (the forthcoming Fedora docs brand).

We use the same XSL to generate the html-single and the html-desktop
files, which is why you see it being referenced there

Cheers,
Rudi