[Pulp-dev] PyPI names for Pulp3

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Fri Apr 7 18:54:17 UTC 2017

Pulp3 can't use the 'pulp' Python namespace like we did on Pulp2 because
it's already taken on PyPI and we don't want to conflict. We need to decide
on some new Python package names.

I've updated a previous write-up[0] with options we have in this area. It
talks about package name options for pip installing purposes, and it
discusses how we will lay out the packages within site-packages.

I prefer the prefix of 'pulpproj' with "idea 2". I also prefer all packages
will install under a top level dir. So that would cause platform to pip
install with:

pip install pulpproj
pip install pulpproj_cli
pip install pulpproj_streamer

All of ^ packages would be laid out on the filesystem as:

/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pulpproj/
├── cli
├── common
├── platform
└── streamer

What are your thoughts and ideas? What do you prefer? Also should this
become a PUP?

[0]: https://pulp.plan.io/issues/2444#note-7

-Brian