[Pulp-dev] Repo version implementation

David Davis daviddavis at redhat.com
Tue Dec 12 21:46:10 UTC 2017

I think the use case you outline about adding/removing a small subset of
units is compelling as I imagine most always a new version will only add or
remove a small subset of units to the latest version.

The performance concerns around option 1 is worth a closer look. Katello
versions its content in a manner similar to the first option; it has been
dealing with hundreds of millions of associations between versioned repos
and content, and Postgresql has never been a problem (usually it’s
MongoDB). However, I’d like to run some benchmarks to maybe confirm for
sure whether it’ll be a problem. I talked to @dkliban and @bmbouter about
this and we came up with an outline of how to maybe test managing one
billion association records:

http://pad-theforeman.rhcloud.com/p/pulp-postgresql-benchmarks

I’m planning on coding this up tomorrow in a django console script and
seeing how scaling up from 0 to 1 billion records affects Postgres’
performance.

David