[Pulp-dev] Pulp multinode testing

Elyezer Rezende erezende at redhat.com
Fri Feb 3 18:01:32 UTC 2017

I am sending this email because I want to collect some information about
how Pulp works on a multinode (multiple machines, not the Pulp Node)
environment so I can create a plan to start testing Pulp on a multinode
environment.

I've read the scaling documentation [1] and saw that we can scale httpd
and/or pulp workers. Also, In addition to that it's possible to clustering
Pulp.

My question is, what is the environment we would like to test Pulp on a
multi machine environment? I remember someone mentioning about having 3
machines:

1. Pulp server
2. Pulp workers
3. Pulp Smash

Do you think is that ok? Or should another architecture be considered?

Considering the above architecture the current plan is as follows:

* Update Pulp Smash to manage workers services on a different machine than
the Pulp server if it is configured to do so.
* Create, or update the existing one, ansible playbook to install Pulp
server on one machine and workers on another.
* Create a job that will provision two OpenStack VM and install Pulp server
on one and Pulp worker on the other. Then run the pulp-smash-runner setting
it up for multinode testing.
* The previous step will require updating the pulp-smash-runner to receive
the multinode configuration.

Thank you in advance.

[1] http://docs.pulpproject.org/user-guide/scaling.html

--