[Pulp-dev] Puppet setup on prepare_node script (pulp_packaging)

Elyezer Rezende erezende at redhat.com
Mon Jan 2 14:58:58 UTC 2017

The prepare_node script is responsible to prepare the nodepool nodes we use
on Jenkins. Other than installing basic packages and the machinery to make
the node a Jenkins slave it installs puppet [1].

I am wondering why setting up puppet is needed since it seems to be related
to the unittest jobs only. I am wondering that because there is no Puppet
for Fedora 25 yet [2] and that is blocking us to have Fedora 25 nodes since
they can't be built.

With all that said, I have some questions:

1) Can we drop puppet setup and let the jobs that need it to set it up?
2) Can we move away from Puppet to Ansible? If yes, what needs to be done
to have that?

I am raising this up because I want to test Pulp ASAP on Fedora 25 and I
don't know all the details about the Puppet need on the slaves.

Thank you

[1]
https://github.com/pulp/pulp_packaging/blob/master/ci/nodepool/scripts/prepare_node.sh#L20-L54
[2] https://yum.puppetlabs.com/