[Pulp-dev] Puppet setup on prepare_node script (pulp_packaging)

Sean Myers sean.myers at redhat.com
Tue Jan 3 16:35:42 UTC 2017

On 01/02/2017 09:58 AM, Elyezer Rezende wrote:
> The prepare_node script is responsible to prepare the nodepool nodes we use
> on Jenkins. Other than installing basic packages and the machinery to make
> the node a Jenkins slave it installs puppet [1].
>
> I am wondering why setting up puppet is needed since it seems to be related
> to the unittest jobs only. I am wondering that because there is no Puppet
> for Fedora 25 yet [2] and that is blocking us to have Fedora 25 nodes since
> they can't be built.
>
> With all that said, I have some questions:
>
> 1) Can we drop puppet setup and let the jobs that need it to set it up?

Please yes. I don't think any jobs really need it, which leads to your next
question:

> 2) Can we move away from Puppet to Ansible? If yes, what needs to be done
> to have that?

Yes!

I don't speak enough puppet to know what the modules we use actually *do*.
We can probably just stop calling puppet and update playbooks as-needed to
get the jobs working again and get rid of the puppet stuff pretty quickly.

Also, someone with more familiarity with puppet might be able to check out
the modules that we use and outline what they do so we can convert those steps
to ansible.