[Pulp-dev] sync abbreviations

Sean Myers sean.myers at redhat.com
Tue Jun 27 17:50:53 UTC 2017

On 06/27/2017 01:17 PM, Jeff Ortel wrote:
> For the most part, I have mixed feelings about abbreviated words in code.  On one hand I value being concise
> but also value clarity.
>
> With this in mind, I propose we stop abbreviating `synchronize` in code and documentation.  It seems unnecessary.
>
> --->8---
>
> This also has better symmetry with "publish".  We don't abbreviate as "pub".

Abiguity, I think, is the real problem with abbreviated names. "pub" has some
ambiguity, in my opinion, so publish is better. I think there is no ambiguity
with "sync" vs. "synchronize". sync is more concise, and there is no difference
in clarity between "sync" and "synchronize".

Some references...
Ambiguous in English: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pub
Unambiguous in English: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sync