[Pulp-dev] Jenkins IRC notifications disabled

Sean Myers sean.myers at redhat.com
Wed Mar 1 17:17:40 UTC 2017

As part of the migration of our jenkins master from el6 to el7,
I've found that the IRC notifications plugin is unable to connect
to freenode. For that and a few other reasons, I've temporarily
disabled these notifications with the expectation that we will
reevaluate their usefulness and come up with a new solution.

I've opened this Redmine task to track potentially restoring
IRC notifications in some form: https://pulp.plan.io/issues/2617

It would be most helpful to hear use cases of how the IRC
notifications help out in your daily workflow. What useful
information do they provide that you regularly act on?

I would put my use cases here to start, but I don't have any... :(

After being a proponent of these notifications at the start,
I've found that they add no value to my day-to-day work and if
anything the clutter in #pulp-dev is more annoying than useful.
So I'm obvious -1 on these things, which makes me all the more
interested in hearing about positive experiences with them.