[Pulp-dev] PUP-3: Proposal to change our git workflow

Tatiana Tereshchenko ttereshc at redhat.com
Tue May 30 09:48:47 UTC 2017

+0 from me

I think community contributions can be handled well in both cases,
merge-forward or cherry-pick.
As for the difficulty it is more a matter of habit, in my opinion.

I expect the cherry-pick approach to be less error-prone and mostly for
that reason I would give it a try with all the drawbacks it has.

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 6:24 PM, Ina Panova <ipanova at redhat.com> wrote:

> Usually, you tend not have your PR opened for months,especially if it is a
> bugfix tracked in our sprint :)
>
> Really, what is difficult about step 5 and 6 i don't understand? you pull
> changes so branch is up to date, then you merge into this branch, then you
> push to upstream. If there are conflicts you are resolving them locally,
> then pushing upstream.
>
> What i want to say in other words - right now the merge or PRs takes me
> like 2 mins going through whole chain of branch-dev to master. Rarely i
> need to solve conflicts, but honestly saying i do not remember when was
> last time i've been solving those.
>
> With new approach it will be, merge here, cherry pick there, open pr for
> cherry picks, merge pr, open redmine, change it,etc
>
> Those are my personal 2 cents.
> I am opened to try this out, i just find that this new approach does not
> cover the cost of steps and time involved for making the git history
> cleaner and other things mentioned previously in my email
>

> --------
> Regards,
>
> Ina Panova
> Software Engineer| Pulp| Red Hat Inc.
>
> "Do not go where the path may lead,
>  go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
>
> On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 5:46 PM, David Davis <daviddavis at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The current workflow is more than a two-step process. To expand all the
>> steps:
>>
>> 1. Decide what x.y-dev branch to open a PR against
>> 2. Open a PR against that branch
>> 3. After the PR is accepted, decide if you can actually still merge it
>> against the branch. This is necessary if for example, if I opened a PR
>> several months ago against 2.12-dev and it was since released. Then I have
>> to update the PR to point to 2.13-dev.
>> 4. Merge the PR
>> 5. Merge the x.y-dev branch to master locally
>> 6. Push the local changes directly to the upstream repository
>>
>> These steps 5 and 6 seem more error prone in that no one is reviewing
>> them. In the git cherry-pick workflow, having someone reviewing the
>> cherry-picks should reduce errors. Also, since you’re moving individual
>> commits instead of merging whole branches together, mistakes should be far
>> less disastrous if they do somehow occur.
>>

>> David
>>
>> On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 10:29 AM, Ina Panova <ipanova at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> -0
>>>
>>> I don't know, i am personally not super excited about cherry-picking,
>>> too many involved resources imho in order to compensate crazy git history.
>>>
>>> 1. submit pr against master
>>> 2. decide into which branches it should be cherry-picked
>>> 3. submit PRs against those branches