[Pulp-dev] [pulp 3] proposed change to publishing REST api

Jeremy Audet jaudet at redhat.com
Tue Oct 24 17:59:03 UTC 2017

> As an example, HAL is one common way to do this:
>
> http://stateless.co/hal_specification.html

HAL looks neat. It's a reasonably well defined standard for defining HTTP

If it's adopted, the one thing I'd suggest is to avoid the use of CURIEs.
It's true that there's an (expired) W3C proposal for them. However, using
CURIEs would add a non-trivial amount of complexity into both server and
client applications. Additionally, I don't see any libraries supporting
CURIEs, either in the Python standard library or on PyPI. The only benefit
in our case seems to be a slight reduction in response sizes.
(Content-encoding can do that better, anyway.)

Importantly, HAL and its brethren don't solve the problems discussed in
this thread. It's merely a standard for presenting responses. It doesn't
help y'all define what requests are available to clients.