[Pulp-dev] [pulp 3] proposed change to publishing REST api

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Tue Oct 24 18:11:58 UTC 2017

Thanks everyone for all the discussion! I'll try to recap the problem and
some of the solutions I've heard. I'll also share some of my perspective on
them too.

What problem are we solving?
When a user calls "publish" (the action API endpoint) they get a 202 w/ a
link to the task. That task will produce a publication. How can the user
find the publication that was produced by the task? How can the user be
sure the publication is fully complete?

What are our options?
1) Start linking to created objects from task status. I believe its been
clearly stated about why we can't do this. If it's not clear, or if there
are other things we should consider, let's talk about it. Acknowledging or
establishing agreement on this is crucial because a change like this would
bring back a lot of the user pain from pulp2. I believe the HAL suggestion
falls into this area.

2) Have the user find the publication via query that sorts on time and
filters only for a specific publisher. This could be fragile because with a
multi-user system and no hard references between publications and tasks,
answering the question "which is the publication for me" is hard because
another user could have submitted a publish too. While not totally perfect,
this could work.

3) Have the user create a publication directly like any other REST
resource, and help the user understand the state of that resource over
time. I believe the proposal at the start of this thread is recommending
this solution. I'm also +1 on this solution.

As an aside, I don't think considering versioned repos as a possible
solution is helping us with this problem. The scope of the current problem
is relatively small and the scope of planning for versioned repos is large.