[Pulp-dev] FOSDEM Event Summary

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Fri Feb 9 20:38:01 UTC 2018

Here an event summary from FOSDEM, in Brussels, Belgium this past weekend.

Pulp3 Talk+Demo from @dkliban
@dkliban gave a talk titled "Pulp3, Simpler, Better, More Awesome" to a
completely filled room. It was focused on users. I counted 93 people, but
once it reached capacity additional people were turned away. The talk was
recorded and is available here [0]. See the pic of the room about 10
minutes before it started here [1]. Based on youtube play counts (119 as of
now) it's one of the most viewed videos on the fosdem talks youtube channel
[2].

The feedback we received was very positive. People really liked the
Versioned Repo -> Publication -> Distribution workflow. People loved that
Pulp3 is dropping mongo. The room started clapping when Dennis got to that
slide, a moment also retold on twitter [3]. People liked that we are
focusing on PyPI releasing because there are a lot of Pulp users who use
Debian, Arch, etc.

Interesting Talks

A Talk on writing FAQs. We need a great one for Pulp3, and I think this
talk gives some good ideas. It's a little slow to start with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aofHozaZyaA

Introduction to Flatpak. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtSxws9j6QY

The Open Decision Framework: How to make everybody happy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpMBZ8KQrbc

Booth
--------

The Pulp banner was shown side-by-side the Foreman booth [1]. Many thanks
to Foreman and oVirt for sharing their space. They had it well staffed
which allowed us to focus on preparing and delivering the Pulp3 talks. We
handed out some tshirts to Pulp users and a lot of stickers.

[0]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Bnspts4mE
[1]: https://photos.app.goo.gl/3BJ6tGT2o9ZCaqVB3
[2]: https://www.youtube.com/user/fosdemtalks/videos
[3]: https://twitter.com/dtsomp/status/959722165322108928