[Pulp-dev] Pulp api seemingly incompatible with generated bindings

Justin Sherrill jsherril at redhat.com
Tue Jul 10 01:16:18 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I finally had some time to play with these and I do have some concerns.
First i'd say that Dennis' work to get the swagger generation working
with href's seemed to work really well!  I did find one small bug(1)
that may be isolated to the ruby bindings, but seems like a
serialization issue potentially.

However I do have some concerns.  According to Dennis, upstream swagger
does not seem open to accepting this change that utilizes href's in its
api calls.  This leaves us all in a bit of a pickle as:

1) pulp seems to suggest to use hrefs (and may remove ids in the future?)
2) swagger does not (and will never?) support referencing objects by
href's in the future

Thus for katello to use href's, we would need to use an altered version
of swagger that someone maintains.  While the patch is small, I'm not
sure either of our teams are super well positioned to maintain something
like this long term.

It might make sense for the pulp team to maintain this, as the
requirements are being suggested by the pulp team, however it doesn't
seem like ya'll will actually be using any generated bindings which
doesn't seem like a good dependency.

It might make sense for the Katello team but I would say we're only
using hrefs because they seem to be what was recommended.  In both cases
its a different technology (java) with a different built system.  I
could see 3 years from now some issue coming up that requires us to
update to a newer swagger version and untangle this when no one that was
involved in this decision was around.  I don't really see either of our
teams maintaining a fork of the swagger code generation as a good long
term solution.

May I suggest that we either:

  a) Work harder to get the code change upstream

or if that does not seem to be going well

  b) commit to continue responding with ids (in addition to hrefs) in
all object responses

(1)  https://pulp.plan.io/issues/3843