[Pulp-dev] Setting naming conventions

David Davis daviddavis at redhat.com
Fri May 18 21:24:55 UTC 2018

Background
=========

We discovered that some of our settings in server.yaml all uppercase
(SERVER_KEY, MEDIA_ROOT, etc) while others are lowercase
(working_directory, databases, etc)[0]. We originally decided to go with
lowercase to match the yaml convention (although yaml itself doesn’t
prescribe all lowercase).

The problem we’ve now run into is that we’ve run into some technical
obstacles in dealing with stuff like nested dictionaries.

Solutions
=======

1. Just use UPPER_SNAKE_CASE. This is probably the easiest solution.
2. Drop yaml for another config language like Python (which Django uses) or
toml[1]
3. Fix the problem of nested dictionaries so we can keep using
lower_snake_case.

Does anyone have a strong preference on which we go with?

[0] https://pulp.plan.io/issues/3589
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOML

David