[Pulp-dev] Pulp CLI MVP User Stories

Bihan Zhang bizhang at redhat.com
Mon May 21 15:26:45 UTC 2018

I'm +1 to shipping a CLI out with our GA. According to our last community
survey ~47% of users used a CLI, vs ~33% using a REST API (the last ~20%
uses Katello/Sat UI/Foreman) [0].

I think there should be some single call operations that the CLI does
support- for example creating a pulp_python remote from a requirements.txt.
The pulp_python REST API remote endpoint expects a dictionary of projects,
and specifiers; the same information present in a requirements.txt, but it
would be inappropriate for the endpoint to only support remote creation
from a requirements.txt, since there's many other formats this information
might be present in (Pipfile, Pipfile.lock, pyproject.toml, etc)
So the REST API should be left generic, but the CLI should support parsing
these files and sending a formatted request to the endpoint.

The role of CLI should be to make workflows easier but I think for the GA
we should have minimal workflows. We should start with a 1-1 mapping for
core endpoints, with perhaps one additional 'pulp-cli quickstart' command
that will create a repository, a remote, a publisher, and a distribution
with a single command. Any additional workflow features can be added by
user request.

And plugins can ship out their own CLI features (or not) separately.

[0] https://pulpproject.org/2017/08/08/community-survey-results/