[Pulp-dev] Export/Import Content between Disconnected Pulp3 systems

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Mon Jul 8 20:49:43 UTC 2019

Katello re-raised their need to export content, e.g. Ansible Collection
content, from one Pulp system to another, where the second system is
network disconnected (aka "air gap" [0]). pulp_ansible users from
AnsibleFest last year also want this, rpm, and other plugins too.  For
these reasons I feel we need to offer something to solve tickets like this
[1].

To handle this feature plugin-by-plugin would be hard in terms of resources
as each plugin takes time to figure it's import/export out and given that
it's needed by several. I'd like us to consider a proposal to offer this
functionality with pulpcore 3.0 and do it with the help of
django-import-export [2].

I wrote up a ticket ( https://pulp.plan.io/issues/5096 ) as a place for
more detailed design discussion since it's too much for email. Please read
it and give your input either on issue, here, or however you are
comfortable.

[0]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gap_%28networking%29
[1]: https://pulp.plan.io/issues/5088
[2]: https://django-import-export.readthedocs.io/en/latest/