[Pulp-dev] When to declare Pulp safe for multi-user?

Brian Bouterse bmbouter at redhat.com
Tue Aug 11 21:09:43 UTC 2020

Pulpcore 3.6 adds RBAC machinery for plugins to enable RBAC with [0], but
that hasn't happened broadly in plugins or pulpcore yet, so Pulp 3.6 is
still not multi-user safe. I want us to discuss options and strategy for
when can we declare Pulp multi-user safe.

My take is that, I think we should avoid a situation where no part of Pulp
can be declared multi-user safe until every call in Pulp everywhere is
multi-user safe. I think doing it plugin-by-plugin is a reasonable
middle-ground. Alternatives to consider here would be great.

Assuming a plugin-by-plugin approach, I'd like to propose a few things for
discussion:

* pulpcore and pulp_file enable RBAC on all of their endpoints for 3.7
* pulpcore declare itself safe for multi-user use for 3.7 [1]
* all plugins discuss-and-communicate which release is their target to add
RBAC support

What do you think?

[0]:
https://github.com/pulp/pulpcore/tree/master/docs/plugins/plugin-writer/concepts/rbac