[Pulp-dev] When to declare Pulp safe for multi-user?

Ina Panova ipanova at redhat.com
Wed Aug 12 10:34:20 UTC 2020

--------
Regards,

Ina Panova
Senior Software Engineer| Pulp| Red Hat Inc.

"Do not go where the path may lead,
 go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 11:10 PM Brian Bouterse <bmbouter at redhat.com> wrote:

> Pulpcore 3.6 adds RBAC machinery for plugins to enable RBAC with [0], but
> that hasn't happened broadly in plugins or pulpcore yet, so Pulp 3.6 is
> still not multi-user safe. I want us to discuss options and strategy for
> when can we declare Pulp multi-user safe.
>
> My take is that, I think we should avoid a situation where no part of Pulp
> can be declared multi-user safe until every call in Pulp everywhere is
> multi-user safe. I think doing it plugin-by-plugin is a reasonable
> middle-ground. Alternatives to consider here would be great.

It might get tricky if we follow that path. I am not sure we can speak for
all the plugins, especially the community plugins plans and timelines.
What about finding a middle ground and targeting " Pulpcore is multi-user
safe 3.7+ with the following list of plugins", where the list will of
plugins will be increasing with time.
I would not want to hit the bottleneck and wait with "Pulp is multi-user
safe unless all plugins have rbac support".

> Assuming a plugin-by-plugin approach, I'd like to propose a few things for
> discussion:
>
> * pulpcore and pulp_file enable RBAC on all of their endpoints for 3.7
> * pulpcore declare itself safe for multi-user use for 3.7 [1]
> * all plugins discuss-and-communicate which release is their target to add
> RBAC support
>
> +1

What do you think?