[Pulp-dev] Pulp3 Concurrency testing

Brian Bouterse bmbouter at redhat.com
Tue Jul 28 20:56:24 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 12:17 PM David Davis <daviddavis at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 12:03 PM Justin Sherrill <jsherril at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On 7/28/20 11:44 AM, David Davis wrote:
>>
>> Today we discussed this at triage. We're leaning towards changing the
>> default from 20 to 10 as it seems like 10 only incurs an extra 30% penalty
>> in time while seeming to fix the problem[0].
>>
>> One question though is how we should treat existing data because most
>> Remotes at this point probably have a value of 20 for download_concurrency.
>> We came up with two options that we would like some feedback on.
>>
>> It seems kinda strange that the 'default' value is recorded in the db on
>> the remote at creation time.  Any reason to just leave it 'nil' and use the
>> 'app default' ?   This doesn't really help with past values, but seems like
>> a better model going forward.
>>

> I think this maybe makes sense given that we'll potentially have to change
> it again if we find out that 10 doesn't work for some reason. Perhaps we
> could set a class constant on Remote that subclasses could override.

One benefit of what we have now is that if you get a db dump, you can see
all the data right there. One downside of what we have now is that we can't
disambiguate a user intending to use the default from just receiving the
default. Overall I value the simplicity of recording actual values in the
db because it's simple, explicit, and consistent with how all other
defaults work in Pulp.