[Pulp-dev] Thoughts on static-doc-building

Grant Gainey ggainey at redhat.com
Thu Oct 15 14:51:55 UTC 2020

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 11:25 AM Grant Gainey <ggainey at redhat.com> wrote:

> After the discussion in yesterday's pulp-team-mtg about building docs, and
> in honor of docs-day, I have been looking into what it would take to make
> updating our docs not require a dev-environment installation.
>
> Building docs includes building the REST API docs, which wants to talk to
> a running pulp-server. Sphinx also relies on django, which relies on
> settings, which are Unhappy if you're not on an installed pulp-instance.
> When all you want to do is edit the static pages, this is all overkill.

Kudos to Mel Corr for trying to make my approach work and flushing out all
the remaining assumptions around "you have pulp installed"! If anyone else
wants to experiment with this, and is willing to ignore a lot of
scary-looking warnings, the recipe *that actually works* can be found here:

https://github.com/ggainey/pulp_startup/blob/main/docs_build/directions.txt

This is working for Mel, so I'm confident it should be 'usable' for all.

Note: just to reiterate, this is a gross, blecherous workaround - next
steps are to come up with changes to make this kind of build a supported
part of the pulp experience.

Grant Gainey
Principal Software Engineer, Red Hat System Management Engineering