[Pulp-list] Repository cloning design

Sayli Karmarkar skarmark at redhat.com
Tue Oct 12 16:50:04 UTC 2010

Pradeep Kilambi wrote:
> On 10/12/2010 03:56 AM, Sayli Karmarkar wrote:
>> I have added design approach for supporting repository cloning at:
>> https://fedorahosted.org/pulp/wiki/RepositoryCloning
>>
>> Feel free to add your thoughts / suggestions to wiki or in this email
>> thread.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> * A cloned repo should just be another repo. Only use I see to adding
> a parent sub collection to a repo is to track back the parent for the
> clone, which we could with feed I think. But I'm open to having a
> parent info in the repo. But lets not call it parent_repo instead just
> call it a parent_id in a repo. If parent_id is None its a parent repo
> else its cloned.
Oh yes. What I meant is adding parent_repo_id to Repo model (sorry I was
not very clear there). Like I said in reply to Todd's email, what
happens when a parent repo of a feeded cloned repo is deleted? We need
to either delete cloned repo or make it feedless. Also, feed does not
always have parent repo id in it. We will have to go through all the
repos and find one with this relative_url.

> * Yes we need errata support, that you should get for free with sync,
> as sync should pull in updateinfo.xml and import anyway. You dont have
> to do anything manual here if you use a local sync.
>
> * lets not use clone: as feed type. Just use existing 'yum' type as
> all repos in pulp are yum repos and point the feed to parent which is
> a yum repo.
+1 to that. That was an option if we don't want to add parent_id to repo
and still have a way to know that this is a cloned repo.