[Pulp-list] GC Repo APIs

Jay Dobies jason.dobies at redhat.com
Wed Aug 24 12:44:36 UTC 2011

On 08/23/2011 07:56 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 08/24/2011 05:58 AM, Jay Dobies wrote:
>> https://fedorahosted.org/pulp/wiki/GCRepoApis
>>
>> That's the first pass at what the repo-related APIs will look like in
>> the generic content world (there may be some missing areas, but that's
>> the bulk of the base functionality). Let me know if you have any
>> thoughts or questions. If anyone wants I can take some time on
>> Thursday's deep dive and walk through them.
>
> Those look quite usable for the GSv3 use case, although I suspect I will
> eventually need get_*_config utility APIs to match the update_*_config
> ones.

I kinda half-assed those "utility" APIs because frankly, they're boring
to me at this point and I'm lazy. But you're absolutely right, those
will be flushed out with those sorts of functions as well based on need.

> I was initially concerned about the 'one importer' limitation (since
> GSv3 will likely have two alternative distribution channels for content,
> potentially within the same repo, depending on whether or not we're
> willing to release the information to Akamai for transfer). However, I
> realised it makes more sense to deal with the management of multiple
> distribution channels within the importer itself on a case-by-case basis

That's how I see it too. The importer can support multiple sources, but
from Pulp's point of view it's just making a single sync call. And
actually, the individual sync config could even be used to key the
importer into which of those multiple sources to do on a given sync, so
in theory we'd be able to sync a subset of them.

 > rather than trying to define a general purpose mechanism for cooperation
 > between arbitrary importers.

That's exactly it, the complications this could introduce makes my head
hurt  :)

> Regards,
> Nick.

Thanks for taking a look, I really appreciate it.

--
Jay Dobies
RHCE# 805008743336126