[Pulp-list] Pulp Beyond 1.0

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Wed Apr 4 04:46:08 UTC 2012

On 04/04/2012 02:12 PM, John Morris wrote:
>> Hi John,
>>
>> If you want to see some of what is possible with the new repository
>> model in v2.0, you may want to take a look at PulpDist:
>> http://pulpdist.readthedocs.org
>>
>> I'm using Pulp as the back end for an rsync-based mirrorring network
>> with REST API control over the individual jobs.
>
> Rsyncing what sort of files? RPM repos?
>
> The pulpdist docs do answer my question: pulpdist is used to 'manage
> arbitrary directory trees', so really any content. From what I can tell,
> the same code to sync repos around could also sync video files around,
> and I could write a plugin analogous to my 'repoview' plugin to generate
> video thumbnails.

Yeah, I've deliberately written the PulpDist plugins to make as few
assumptions as possible about the content - they're intended to be a
"lowest common denominator" kind of deal while still being more
bandwidth friendly than transferring whole files around all the time.

The closest they get to custom metadata are the PROTECTED files used at
downstream sites to tell the plugins to leave particular directories
alone, as well as the STATUS files used at the top level of snapshot
trees to say when a directory is ready for synchronisation (or has
already been synchronised).

>One more plugin could tell a local database to start
> serving the now-locally-stored video from local content servers instead
> of remote ones. (Don't worry, I'm not really talking about putting
> pulpdist into anyone's production site. Yet. ;)

Heh, I can hardly complain too much if anyone starts using my unfinished
code when I've been doing the exact same thing to the Pulp team with
respect to their v2 REST and plugin APIs. In truth, I don't actually
mind so long as people have a clear understanding that they'll be
building on a still unstable foundation :)

FWIW, aside from the updates needed to use the new Pulp APIs properly,
and possibly switching the command line client over to the new
pulp-admin plugin architecture, I don't anticipate any more drastic
changes like last month's complete redesign of the approach to PulpDist
site configuration.

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan
Red Hat Engineering Operations, Brisbane