[Pulp-list] meta-packages

Jeff Ortel jortel at redhat.com
Thu Sep 20 20:26:38 UTC 2012

All,

As you know, pulp v2 is packaged into quite a few packages (RPMSs).  In
an effort to make this more manageable for users, we decided to provide
meta-packages that would bundle the platform packages + RPM support
packages.  We weren't 100% convinced this was the way to go but decided
to try it anyway.  After living with if for a bit, the bad taste in my
mouth just hasn't gone away and, in fact, has gotten worse with the
introduction of puppet support.  Nothing against the puppet support :)
If we continue using the meta-packages, users would do wonky things when
installing a pulp server with both RPM and puppet support.

Like:

# yum install pulp-rpm-server pulp-puppet-server

This /seems/ like they're install two separate servers.

Unless there is objection, I plan to get rid of the meta-packages under
products/.  What does this mean for users?  It means that when
installing pulp, users will install the platform packages + the support
packages they need.  Here is what this will look like:

THE PULP SERVER:

# yum install pulp-server

... and for RPM support:

# yum install pulp-rpm-plugins

For pulp-admin:

# yum install pulp-admin-client

... and for RPM support:

# yum install pulp-rpm-admin-extensions

In both cases, yum depsolving does most of the work.

Here is the shortest version of how a user would install a pulp server +
RPM support & the admin client:

# yum install pulp-rpm-plugins pulp-rpm-admin-extensions

Again, yum depsolving does most of the work.

ON THE CONSUMER:

# yum install pulp-consumer-client

... and for RPM support:

# yum install pulp-rpm-consumer-extensions

For the agent:

# yum install pulp-agent

.. and for RPM support:

# yum install pulp-rpm-handlers

Here is the short version:

# yum install pulp-rpm-consumer-extensions pulp-rpm-handlers

Users can also get creative with yum wildcards.

Still considering package groups in addition to this ....

Thoughts, Objections?

-jeff