[Pulp-list] Pulp nightly RPM builds wanted

Ivan Necas inecas at redhat.com
Tue Sep 9 14:00:20 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On 09/09/2014 07:48 AM, Ivan Necas wrote:
> >   1. setting up the dev-setup might be quite frustrating, especially
> >      for non-python developers. (maybe you think it's just ok, but trust
> >      me, it's not:)
>
> I couldn't agree more. I've always found our development environment to
> be far too complex and to require unreasonable permissions. It's better
> now than it was two years ago, but it's still not very good. My goal is
> to be able to develop Pulp entirely inside a virtualenv, without having
> to deploy anything across my system. FWIW, I recommend developing Pulp
> inside virtual machines since the pulp-dev script will spew files all
> over your FS, and since you have to disable selinux to develop.
>
> >   2. the production-related issues are being postponed to later development
> >      stages, which leads to instabilities being discovered too late as
> >      well.
>
> Can you be more specific about this? I'm having trouble following what
> you mean.

Issues with systemd services, production setup of workers, selinux,
the whole installation process (ordering of the installation steps:
pulp-manage-db requires qpid to be ready etc.) There are many things
you will not discover until you start with fresh setup, install
rpms and do the stuff the end-user would do when starts using it.

-- Ivan