[Pulp-list] crane v2 without pulp

Randy Barlow rbarlow at redhat.com
Thu Oct 1 22:06:11 UTC 2015

Aaron Weitekamp wrote:
> I was asked a question that got me thinking: if crane is just a static
> file server could we use it without pulp? For docker v1 we use pulp to
> generate the crane json files. I'm not sure that's required for v2.
> Note: I am really behind on docker v2 in general and the crane v2
> implementation.

Crane (at least for v2, I'm not as familiar with v1) does not serve any
static files. Instead, it knows where repositories that are requested
can be found, and redirects the user to those locations.

> Why: Managing a pulp instance is overhead that is not always required.
> For the v1 registry service[1] we're doing basically what is being
> asked: take a tarball export from pulp, push crane json files, the
> layers go into an AWS S3 bucket.

I'm not sure that we have a static tarball output with the new docker v2
implementation, but it does write static files to
/var/lib/pulp/published/docker/v2/. Those static files could be served
by any other web server. However, the Docker client *may* require that
static server to be able to hand out certain headers to indicate that it
is a v2 registry. Some versions of Docker have required this, but I'm
not confident whether Docker 1.8.2 does or does not. The Pulp httpd
config does hand out this header for now since some version of Docker
that I tested with did not work without it.

I bring up the headers because I heard a rumor that S3 does not allow
you to set custom headers on the content.