[Pulp-list] Pulp in production

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Fri Jul 22 17:29:49 UTC 2016

I generally recommend picking a recent x.y release and always staying
current on its z stream updates (i.e 2.8.6). I also recommend upgrading
y releases often because we are releasing smaller changes, more often
now and new features come with y releases along with updates. Also,
security updates usually land in the current y stream and maybe y-1, so
staying current puts you in a good position to receive the latest fixes.
We try to make the upgrades easy also.

Beta and release candidate testing helps everyone because issues
discovered during someone's upgrade could have been found earlier. It
also allows you to verify if the upcoming release will meet your needs
too. Always have a new, non-production system when beta/rc testing.
Note, we do not support upgrading a beta/rc install to newer beta, rc,
or ga version.

Since Pulp 2.4.0, Pulp tries to adhere to semantic versioning [0] for
it's API, CLI, and as much as possible, the plugin API. This means that
if you are integrating or using against Pulp or its CLI, there should
never be backwards incompatible changes on the 2.y line. At some point
we are going to move to Pulp 3.0, but at least when you decide to
upgrade to a new 2.y release, you know what you are getting.

[0]: semver.org

-Brian