[Pulp-list] Draft 2.9.0 release schedule

Randy Barlow rbarlow at redhat.com
Mon Mar 21 15:11:29 UTC 2016

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 10:06:47AM -0400, Kodiak Firesmith wrote:
> Will there be an "LTS-like" version released periodically for stable
> production use?  I mean, I get that it's not a supported product like
> Satellite 6, but since I'm planning to use it in production I'd like to be
> able to stick with a single version for about 12 months without feeling
> like I need to upgrade every 3 months to address any issues that pop up.
>
> But then again the upgrade process from 2.7 --> 2.8 was such a breeze maybe
> I should just get over my annual upgrade habit that has come from the
> cadence of Satellite 5.x releases.

Hello Kodiak!

At this time, I don't think we have plans to do an LTS release as we
don't have the resources to dedicate to it. I am also not an authority
on what we will or won't do, so I'm really just speaking from my
perspective. However, I personally very much agree that it would be a
fine goal for the future for all the reasons you stated.

On the other hand, Pulp is now part of the Fedora project starting with
Fedora 24. As a result, the versions of Pulp that ship with Fedora 24
will receive support in Fedora itself during the year and one month that
each Fedora release itself is supported. You might consider using it
that way. I also hope that we will get Pulp included in EPEL 8 whenever
that comes out, but we can't guarantee that at this point.

--
Randy Barlow
irc:   bowlofeggs