[Pulp-list] pulp3 migration directory

Mike DePaulo mikedep333 at redhat.com
Mon Sep 20 16:21:04 UTC 2021

Hi Bin,

We are trying to understand what you are asking exactly.

It sounds like:
1. you have a test environment with a copy of the production database.
2. You upgraded pulp on the test environment. During this, the migrations
were ran by pulp_installer against the test database copy.
3. You will run the upgrade pulp on the production environment, which will
upgrade the production database.

So we have all the possibly needed migration files on disk. They are
static, and are part of the pypi packages (and RPM packages too.) This is a
change from the pulpcore 3.0 alpha/beta/rc behavior, when we generated the
migrations.

If you run `find /usr/local/lib/pulp | grep migrations` , you will see all
of them. You'll see both compiled .pyc files and the original .py files.

When the installer runs, it runs all the needed migrations. This is part of
the pulp_database_config role, the task is named "Run database migrations".

roles/pulp_database_config/README.md still refers to the pulpcore 3.0
alpha/beta/rc behavior when it says that it "Create and run migrations." It
only runs them now. I will fix this doc.

Does this answer your questions?

-Mike

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 4:52 PM Bin Li (BLOOMBERG/ 120 PARK) <
bli111 at bloomberg.net> wrote:

> The 3.15 release requires python 3.8. We are currently running pulpcore
> 3.7 with python 3.7 and an external db. When we use the pulp_installer to
> migrate the older release to 3.15 with new python 3.8 venv,it run
> successfully in a test environment. I am wondering how the new version
> knows the the historical migration file. Should I copy the historical
> migration files from older python 3.7 venv to the new 3.8 venv first?

Mike DePaulo

He / Him / His

Service Reliability Engineer, Pulp

Red Hat <https://www.redhat.com/>