help abt USB

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Tue Apr 6 09:47:11 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 17:22, Dany Gates wrote:

> as u said in ur previous reply i tried to mount my usb device(mass storage)
> by applying changes in fstab but with default but that didn't work. i look
> at mounted devices and what i saw had a line as :
> "usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs(rw)" but there wasn't anything at
> that location just 4/5 files containing nothing! So does that mean my USB
> device was already detected and mounted by linux? If yes how can i access
> it?
usbdevfs is the raw USB device filesystem. It allows you to see devices
under /proc/bus/usb if they are detected by your kernel.
what does lsusb tell you?
have you tried 'modprobe usb-storage' as root, and then check 'dmesg'
(then try lsusb again)
incidentally, just saying "it doesn't work" without giving error
messages makes it harder to help you.

exactly what did you put in your /etc/fstab file?
what command did you use to mount the device?

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears <stuart at sjsears.com>