help abt USB

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sun Apr 4 19:46:32 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-04 at 10:00, Dany Gates wrote:
> hi, previously i had problem with USB and problem was RH9 use to freeze the
> moment i used to plug-in any USB device but that prob is not eliminated ,
> but tell me how can i access my memory card in my USB Card Reader. RH9 shows
> that i has detected the USB , but how can i read/write to this Card?
> Do i need to mount it or something?  Will i have to make some changes to
> fstab? if yes what changes?

fdisk -l

your card reader will probably be a USB-mass-storage device. These
appear as SCSI devices to your system, so if you have no other SCSI
stuff, it may well appear to fdisk -l as /dev/sda

most CF and Smartmedia cards use vfat filesystems.

your fstab options, when you know which disk your reader appears as,
will usually include 'noauto' and 'user' - to avoid your system trying
to mount the cardreader at boot, and to allow ordinary users to mount
and unmount the device without needing root access.

> Also i have Digital USB camera , which i can use as a web camera so tell me
> any program which can display live video from my web cam.
google is your friend.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=USB+webcam+linux+program&btnG=Google+Search
(the link will definitely wrap.)

http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software/Graphics/Camera/