How to nework two linux computers

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Apr 14 21:09:55 UTC 2004

Bob McClure Jr wrote:

Allow me to expand on Bob's excellent comments...

> On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 10:42:37AM -0700, Ashok Patel wrote:
>
>>Thanks for receiving positive reples from linux folks
>>regarding bringing Grub boot menu back into my
>>computer.
>>
>>I have following two concerns.
>>
>>As I had said earlier, I have two computers (AMD 550
>>Mhz and P4, 1.4 Ghz) each having Fedora Core I and
>>multiple windows partitions.
>>
>>High speed internet works fine on Windows and Fedora
>>Core 1 partitions of each computer. I have netwoked
>>(Windows) both computers successfully through
>>ethernet.
>>
>>However, I do NOT know how to setup network in Fedora
>>Core 1. Would anybody give me some idea as to how to
>>network these two computers for Fedora Core systems
>

> Have you run redhat-config-network?

Yes, you should run that.  You didn't say how you ran the network on
both computers--via ethernet or via a dial-up or DSL modem.  The
program Bob mentioned should show either "eth0" (ethernet) or "ppp0"
(modem) if Fedora actually found your hardware.  It's pretty good at
finding ethernet cards.  However, if you used a "winmodem" to do dial
up, you may have a problem.  Out of the box, Fedora has very limited
support for winmodems.

There are other drivers out there, but many of the modem makers won't
release specifications for their chipsets, so an open source driver may
not be available.  In those cases, you're best off to go spend the $40
US and buy a real, honest-to-God serial modem.  They work on ANYTHING.

>>Another concern. I want to be able to: (1) view and
>>edit windows partitions "from" Fedora Core 1
>>partition;
>

> Have you Read The Fine Manual:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/getting-started-guide/s1-q-and-a-windows.html
>
> (Yes, that's for RH 9, but is mostly applicable to FC1.)

Fedora, as distributed, only understands VFAT (FAT12, FAT16, FAT32)
Windows filesystems.  If you have NTFS filesystems you want to play
with, you must either go get a pre-compiled NTFS module or rebuild your
kernel and include NTFS support in it.  Note that there are two
different modules--one that's read-only and one that's read-write.  I do
NOT recommend the read-write module.  In the past it has been known to
corrupt the NTFS partition beyond the ability for chkdsk to fix it.  I
understand the newer ones don't do that, but I'm very wary of it.

>>and (2) view and edit Fedora Core 1
>>partitions "from" windows partition.
>

> Windoze doesn't believe any other partitions exist.  Sorry.

Right.  Windows understands FAT12, FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS.  That's it.
Microsoft likes to believe that nothing in the world exists except their
horrid products.

>>Each Windows partitin in each computer is FAT32 type.
>>Linux partition in each computer is standard by
>>default (I think, ext2 type).
>>
>>Any help please....
>>
>>Thanks again...
>>Ashok Patel
>>ashokpatel at yahoo.com
>

> Cheers,

-   To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.    -