RH9 Install Problems 040416a

Gene Sears (MUMC) gsears at mumctville.org
Mon Apr 19 17:56:13 UTC 2004

Hi Stuart,

I know RH9 is being written off by RedHat, and I am reaching my limit with
inexplicable failures and software like VIM and EMACS.  I have been using
computers since before the PC appeared. This level of software and failures
was common in the DOS world in the mid-eighties.  I keep reading how
superior Linux is to Windows, so I decided I would dual boot the new (to me)
PC with Win2K and Linux and give it a fair trial.  About 3 hours after
installing the hard drive, it was fdisked, partitioned formatted and Windows
and several of my favorite utilities were installed.  Next I began
installing RH9...  That was on the 11th, or 12th of April, so far the only
thing about Linux RH9 that has worked and is useful is the Grub dual-boot
menu.  None of the foregoing is intended to be a reflection on you.  Your
suggestions have all made sense to me, the fact that so far I haven't been
able to bring any of them to fruition is not your fault.

In regard to your comment that you are using RHEL, (I think you said beta),
why would one choose RHEL as opposed to Fedora, or vice-versa?

Other comments below...

Gene